Kala Sarpa Yoga is formed when all the planets viz. Sun, Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Mercury and Saturn and Lagna hemmed between Rahu and Ketu. If even one planet is with Rahu or Ketu beyond the axis, then this Yoga will not operate. It is also absolutely necessary to examine the degrees in which the planet in conjunction with Rahu and Ketu are there in the natal chart. Suppose if Rahu is 3 degrees in Leo and if Venus is 2 degrees then technically the Yoga does not exist. One should have the exact time of birth to ascertain the presence of Kala Sarpa Yoga in a natal chart.
In the classical astrological works, Kala Sarpa Yoga does not find a place. It seems to be later invention and mostly has to do with mundane astrology. How this Yoga gained importance is not evident.
If all the planets are hemmed between Ketu and Rahu, whether the Yoga technically exists is a question. There are very many views on this. In reality the effect of this Yoga is toned down when planets are in-between Ketu and Rahu. In our view, whether the axis is Rahu or Ketu or Ketu and Rahu, the yoga technically exists.
Astrology normally predicts evil happening whenever this Yoga occurs. Those having this Yoga will have obstacles, suffering and set back in life. It is even said many of the benefic Yogas will get nullified if this Yoga is present.
When considering the Yoga, in what house the axis falls has to be ascertained which will determine the outcomes.
The Axis – RAHU and KETU
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the first and seventh house, then the Yoga goes by the name ANANTA KAAL SARPA YOGA. The individual suffers from anxiety, apprehension, inferiority complex and water phobia.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the second and eighth then if goes by the name KULIKKAAL SARPA YOGA. The native suffers from monetary loss, accident, speech disorder, discontentment in the family, etc.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the third and the ninth, then it is called VASUKI KAAL SARPA YOGA. The native suffers from loss of brothers, sisters, sudden death, etc.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in 4th and 8th, it goes by the name SHANKHAPAL KAAL SARPA YOGA. Individuals mother and father get afflicted. Can also face job related problems.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the fifth and eleventh, then it is called PADMA KAAL SARPA YOGA. The native will face obstacles in the area of education, children and loss of friends.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the sixth and the 12th house, it is called MAHA PADMA SARPA YOGA. Native suffers from frequent head aches, lower back pain, loss of wealth, etc.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the 7th and 1st house, then it goes by the name TAKSHA KAAL SARPA YOGA. Native suffers from behaviour disorders, health issues, accident, anxiety and unhappiness in married life.
- When Rahu and Ketu are placed in the 8th and 2nd, then it is called KARKOTAK KAAL SARPA YOGA. Native suffers from loss of ancestor property, heart problems and strife in family.
- When in the 9th and 3rd, it is called SHANKACHOOD KAAL SARPA YOGA. Native suffers from hasty behaviour, BP and constant anxiety.
- When in 10th and 4th, it is called GHAATAK KAAL SARPA YOGA. The native suffes from low BP, robbery at his house etc.
- When in 11th and 5th axis, it is called VISHADHAR KAAL SARPA YOGA. Individual becomes unstable. Strife between brothers and imprisonment is also possible.
- When in 12th and 6th axis, it is called SHESNAAG KAAL SARPA YOGA. The native will experience defeat and misfortune and will suffer from eye ailments.
KAAL SARPA YOGA has its brighter aspect also. The native is hard working, industrious and aware of his own ability. If other Raja Yogas are present, then the native rises to very high positions. The evil gets intensified if the Lagna is inbetween Ketu and Rahu and almost null if it is between Rahu and Ketu. The common fear that if KAAL SARPA YOGA is present, then all the other Yogas may become defunct. No single Yoga has the propensity to make or mar an individual. KAAL SARPA YOGA may be one of the reasons for downfall of the person.
KAAL SARPA YOGA need not be given unique importance, the overall assessment of the horoscope is important. The Yoga normally plays a role in mundane astrology and does not have much relevance in individual’s horoscope.
Ardha kaayam mahaaveeyram – Chandhraadhithya vimardhanam
Simhikaagarba Sambhootham – Tham Raahum Pranamaam Yaham
The one who has half a body and is full of valour, One who opposes Chandra and Surya without fear, One who was born from Simhika’s womb, I prostrate that Rahu.